Subject: [Leica] Aerial Photography
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Mar 14 11:26:51 2006

B. D. Colen
Subject: Re: [Leica] Aerial Photography

> Thanks, Sonny....My question was going to be...Is this person a
> photographer? A professional quality photographer? And, if not, why would
> he think that owning an airplane and a camera makes one a professional
> aerial photographer? :-)

Quite frankly guys I've never seen anyone drive and talk on a cell phone
without endangering the lives of others. Let alone a guy flying a plane and
take pictures at the same time. :-(

I've had some pretty hairy rides under my belt shooting aerials with pilots
who supposedly had flown photographers and they knew all the right ways to
handle the plane. I found in some cases I had far more airtime than the
pilot.

All you have to do is come back from a shoot with tree branches in the
under-carriage and it puts a whole new perspective on believing the pilots
ability.

So I began giving them instructions before we took off! Pissed off a few,
their problem, but at least they kept looking at where we were going and not
looking at what I was photographing!

Surely that isn't what this fellow means? Fly plane & shoot at the same
time?

Besides the best aerial photo platform is a helicopter in my book.

ted

Replies: Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Aerial Photography)