Subject: [Leica] digital virgin
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Fri Mar 3 15:21:40 2006

brad daly wrote:
> okay, so i'm using a digital camera for the FIRST TIME EVER. how do i
> get the raw files to open in photoshop? i can't figure it out. iphoto
> can't do it either.
>
> totally clueless,
> brad

Hi Brad!

If you have an older version of PS, and do not wish to fork over for the
upgrade, the low cost way to do it is to download FastStone Viewer (is
supports virtually every RAW format including the DNG format for the
Leica DM-R, and SilkyPix... a superb RAW to .tif/.jpg converter which
runs with a very useful feature set, forever, for free.

Download FastStone at http://www.faststone.org/
Download SilkyPix at http://www.isl.co.jp/SILKYPIX/english/

I've used this pair with both the Canon 20D and the Leica DM-R, and find
them fast and effective. BTW: Silkypix is one of the best RAW converters
out there. I had it recommended to me, and I've never gone back to PS,
except for 'tweaks' afterwards!

Cheers!

--
David Young,