Subject: [Leica] Panasonic Lumix DMC-L1 w/ Leica lens--RD-1 killer?
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Wed Mar 1 00:40:34 2006

As the L1 has a different lens mount I don't think it will be a "R-D1
killer". The R-D1 will anyway reach the end of it's market presence soon as
I estimate most of the 10'000 produced units must be sold now.

Having seen the Oly e-330 which shares the mirrorhouse, viewfinder and live
LCD with the L1, you can be quite shure the L1's viewfinder will be
Leica-untypically small and probably not very bright. This is the price you
pay for a live LCD in a DSLR. And it is a pity that the LCD can not be
tilted like on the e-330.

Otherwise the camera seems to be handsome and well built with a metallic
cage. I like the square "brick" design. It's a improved Digilux-2/DMC-LC1
design, which, AFAIK, was created by a german design professor by order of
Leica. There is definitely some Leica heritage in this camera body.

And return of the classic round shutter speed dial must be considered as a
giant step forward in the digital camera's world! :-)

Didier