Subject: [Leica] Leica participation in 4/3rds format
From: melnyk at msu.edu (Steven A. Melnyk)
Date: Sun Feb 26 10:30:08 2006

I am confused by this series of moves for several reasons.  First, as
a business professor, this move does not make sense because it
degrades the value of the Leica brand.  Leica has always been
associated with high quality, high end products.  Olympus, Kodak and
Panasonic are considered "prosumer" at best.  Panasonic benefits;
Leica does not.  Second, as a photographer, I have followed what is
happening in the camera field.  We see that Konica/Minolta has left
the camera field.  In my opinion, Pentax is next to go.  Olympus is
not strong. I am not sure off the attractiveness of the 4/3 standard
(especially since the big boys are not playing in it).  Third, the
reviews on the olympus systems ((as seen in dpreview) have not been
that outstanding.  This seems to be a good system with low ISO
settings but one that deteriorates at the higher ISO levels.
'
In short, I am not convinced of the long term validity of the 4/3
standard.  I am not sure that Leica does itself any benefit by
aligning itself with this standard.  Past history tells us that when
there are several standards, only one or two will emerge as the
dominate standard.  In a world dominated by Canon and Nikon, I am not
sure of the long term viability of this standard.  I may be wrong but
history would argue against the 4/3 standard.

Steven A. Melnyk
Department of Marketing & Supply Chain Management
Michigan State University
melnyk@msu.edu

Replies: Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Leica participation in 4/3rds format)
Message from scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin) ([Leica] Leica participation in 4/3rds format)