Subject: [Leica] Leica participation in 4/3rds format
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Sun Feb 26 03:19:37 2006

These rumours went around since a while, now it seems official. As discussed
in earlier posts, I still believe this step makes sense, as it could
establish the name Leica in the consumer level dslr market. As such a camera
should not rival Leica's own digital M and DMR products (with 1.33/1.38 crop
factor sensors), the FourThirds system is a good choice. Those who find the
4/3 sensor is too noisy above ISO800 might be right today, but I expect the
next generations of (multiple layered) sensors to wipe off this issue.

Personally I hope Leica will create some fast prime lenses for the 4/3
system. Sigma just announced they will produce their 30/1.4 in 4/3 mount,
too (though I would have preferred they do this with their 20/1.8 or 24/1.8)
Didier