Subject: [Leica] Long-eared Owl (Asio otis)
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sat Feb 25 12:36:16 2006

Douglas Herr showed another birdman Master Piece! :-)
> http://www.wildlightphoto.com/birds/strigidae/leow01.html<<<

>>> This one needs a few disclaimers.  Maneuvering an 800mm lens and hefty
> tripod through a dense patch of woods is no picnic, especially when the
> subject is doing its best to keep a significant screen of branches between
> itself and the hairy two-legged creature.  Technically...  let's just say
> won't be making any big prints of this photo.<<<<

Hi Doug,
What sets this photograph ahead of your other great's is, you "shot through
the branches!"  By throwing them out of focus due to being close to the lens
and a wide aperture, it's created a beautiful "look" not otherwise seen too
often in your work .

>> Technically...  let's just say I won't be making any big prints of this
>> photo.<<<<
Would you please explain why when it's such a magnificent photograph?

I would think unless there's a technical error beyond what we can ascertain
off the screen. These out of focus branches are creating a gentle scene, ( I
do not consider them an error, but an added feel to the photograph)  I would
think it would make an amazingly beautiful large size print.

But then you're looking at it as a slide real time, we're seeing an
electronic image on the screen. And in there is what sorts "error's out."

A beauty to say the least, good on you.

ted