Subject: [Leica] Week 6 & 7
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Feb 21 10:50:21 2006

Ric Carter offered:
Subject: Re: Leica] Week 6 & 7
>>> The same thing bugged me too. Possible cause: I may have been panning a
>>> bit to track the train. It was pretty close to me. If I tracked the
> nose of the loco, keeping it centered during the slow exposure...
> The same thing happened on a couple other frames shooting the strong
> lateral motion in that dim light.
> I liked the effect, although it would likely be more reliable to do  it
> with PhotoShop.<<<<

Ric mon ami,
My re-action is just the opposite!! I figured you made the shot to capture
the motion of the train and deliberately used a slow shutter speed to show
the movement.

It's a brilliant bit of photographing motion. A "swishy pan" so to speak
like Olympic runners sprinting down the track!

Any idiot can take a picture of a moving train and stop it in it's "tracks"
;-) It's a no brainer. But it takes one with talent to think.... "The train
is moving why not capture that feeling using a slow shutter speed and pan
with the motion?" Whether that was the reason for the slow shutter speed in
this case or not. It's a never mind, because the photo works very well.

But this photograph has far more meaning to it than a train just sitting
there parked. As I said, any idiot can take stopped trains, when in fact
they're moving right along the track.

As far as I'm concerned it's a fine photograph illustrating motion. I mean,
why not show the action as you see and feel it rumbling along the track?

Good on you!

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road