Subject: [Leica] Maybe OT, Canon Serenar in LTM
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu Feb 16 20:16:09 2006

At 07:29 PM 2/16/06 -0700, GREG LORENZO wrote:
>A frozen package was waiting on the front step for me when I arrived home
tonight. Inside was a Canon Serenar 85/2 lens in LTM and Canon, 85 Finder,
original front and rear caps and original leather lens case.

>This is my first Canon lens and with a serial number of 53028 and 'Made in
Occupied Japan' engraving I suspect that it is from the early 1950's.

>Is anyone up on these lenses, as to optical formula, approximate date of
manufacture, etc.? I expect it to be a fairly soft focus lens good for
portraits of older women.

Now that the great Peter Dechert has retracted himself from active
scholarship, the point man for knowledge on Canon LTM gear is that
distinguished Antipodean -- yes, indeed, he walks about with his head to
the bottom, so to speak, but no fault to him! -- Peter Kitchingman
<flotsam@eon.net.au>.  Peter is not a member of our number but I am copying
him this missive and as you were kind enough to provide a serial number, I
suspect that he might have some commentary on this optic.  I would ask him
to copy me his response to you.

Peter is drafting the definitive history of Canon LTM lenses and I expect
I'll probably have to buy a copy once it gets published.  <sigh>  I get no
respect ...

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!