Subject: [Leica] February so far
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Tue Feb 14 09:33:46 2006

Thanks, Bill,

I guess that the lead sheet is all that is needed in a combo with several
rhythm players and only one or two melodic instruments.  My experience comes
from the late days of the big band era, the late 40s and early 50s, when I
paid for my college expenses by working in small clubs on weekends with a
7-8 piece band, and later, with a 15-piece big band of 5 saxes, 6 brass, and
4 rhythm that we used to play for college dances on campus.  I was even a
card-carrying member of the American Federation of Musicians for a while.
However, the popularity and economics of small combos put an end to the big
band era about the time I graduated.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA

Message from jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] February so far)