Subject: [Leica] The Great Comeback
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat Feb 11 23:08:36 2006

On 2/11/06 2:01 PM, "Philippe Orlent" <philippe.orlent@pandora.be> typed:

>> http://www.economist.com/books/displaystory.cfm?story_id=5466822
>>
>> --Bill

It's just never been that the latest printing or photographic processes like
when the Carbon print was invented. When the cyanotype process came out in
1842 plenty of people stuck with their Calotypes - Daguerreotypes all
existed simultaneously. The wet collodion Albumen prints started happening
but couldn't be said of have completely taken over.
The latest photographic process becomes another option. Just one more
option,
Often they'll dominate the scene; not always.
Fresson prints for instance.
The best prints you could get for a great while.
But didn't get people forgetting the darkroom color print making processes
of the time, Or dye transfers which were not such a secret.

Now we've got digital capturing, digital scanning and digital printing as a
new option. And most of a just digital viewing. Some will say that to do any
other option is foolish. They're all excited about their little inkjets and
their website online gallery and nothing else is permitted to exist,
Many are going to  stick with their silver Jello prints or platinum prints
made outside at high noon without a cloud in the sky. Like yesterday here in
Portland. Great day for platinum. Lousy for silver. In-between for
Inkjetting you could do it by a picture window and even have it opened.
Me I'm excited about digital it's exciting to see such an involving possess
which makes one feel photography is being re invented because there are more
ramifications.
Like we're in the age of Daguerre and Talbot, Ni?pce
And WC Handy!
    having to go to the "Chemist" who was the Pharmacist. (the drug store
guy) to get our chemicals and other darkroom needs. Those few, those nerdy
few.
Now the most dramatic thing about the whole photographic phenomenon is
printing to monitor. Printing to pixel not to paper.
For the internet, your website or your emails. Your little hand held viewer.
The back of your camera. Next year your wrist watch,
Its like photography is no longer Morse code tapping away but its now freely
communicating to everybody. Not just the tappers.
Its television.

- a Bendel bonnet,
A Shakespeare's sonnet,
- Mickey Mouse!

With their Blogs calling them Photo Blogs or not people are communicating
visually sucking their daily captures from their digital point and shoots
right into their online public diary. People are thinking visually. Twenty
years ago it just just not the same.
There were typewriters. There were Darkrooms.
And those doing the "alternate" processes.
The processes which have been invented along the way and not forgotten.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
Soon to be residing in the Greater New York Metropolitan area.
ON an never ending battle for TRUTH! JUSTICE! ...