Subject: [Leica] The Bay 101 - The Oaks
From: bquinn at sgi.com (Bernard Quinn)
Date: Sat Feb 11 19:01:43 2006

There are a lot of Inns and Bed and Breakfast places on the Eastern Shore of
the Chesapeake Bay. This is one of my favorites. It is The Oaks, located in
Royal Oak, Maryland. Usually I stay there during the warm weather, but on
this particular evening I pulled up to it on a dark and stormy night, as the
clich? goes. I have been going to this Inn since I was a teenager, and that
was forty years ago. This is where I learned to sail years ago. In those
days it was called the Pasadena and was owned by Bill and Louise Harper. It
is located on Oak Creek, which in days gone by allowed the owners of the
plantation to ship its products by water, which was how things were done on
the Eastern Shore in Colonial days.

It is what we call a manor house, meaning a plantation house.  It's the
mansion s where the owner and his family lived. It was built in 1748, and
sits on land granted by Lord Baltimore. This aspect of Maryland's history is
troubling to me but the reality is that we were a tobacco and a slave state.
There is a plantation on the western shore where the slave quarters still
exist. In the interest of fairness and equal time I will post a picture of
them in due course. The contrast is both startling and shameful. The
Underground Railway which helped southern slaves escape to the north ran not
all that far from here. I'll get to that in due course, too.

The inside of the mansion has been totally renovated. Highly recommended, by
musing's on Maryland's past not withstanding.

                            www.leica-gallery.net/barney/image-91524.html

Thanks for looking. Comments welcomed.

Barney

Replies: Reply from bruce at ralgo.nl (bruce) ([Leica] The Bay 101 - The Oaks)