Subject: [Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Mon Feb 6 20:28:46 2006

Hi Ted,

That's a great how-to manual.  If I ever find myself at such a VIP event,
Prime Minister or otherwise, I shall avail myself of your suggestions!

The only time I can remember off-hand when I really wished I had an
invisibility cloak while photographing was some years ago, when I found
myself covering the speech of a US Supreme Court Justice.  I was
photographing from the side, just in front of the stage he was on, as he
read from his notes.  I decided I wanted a photo from a little behind him,
something that would catch a bit of his profile and show the audience as
well...actually, it would have been from the shadow side, now that I think
about it, as he was lit from the front.  Anyway, I tried to move up the
stairs to the stage so I could get my angle.  I didn't get far when I was
stopped by the firm hand of a Secret Service agent on my chest.  "You can't
go up there."  He said it with a smile and a friendly look, but there was
no doubting his words.  Those guys are serious!  Needless to say, I didn't
get the photo I was hoping for!  But, I did live to photograph another day!
:)

Now it's off to bed for this east coaster.

Best,
Aaron

Ted Grant wrote:
>Aaron Sandler offered:
>>>in the end you can make your photos because of the
>>way you relate to your subjects, including the vital part that you invest
>>a *week* or more sitting in the corner until you're just part of the
>>scene to the families.  It's very similar to the way Doug Herr describes
>>his wildlife photography process or Ted describes trying to stay
>>unobtrusive while shooting in a medical setting.<<<<
>
>Hi Aaron,
>It's an ability some folks have to sit quiet, move little and still be
>photographing the actions or non-actions going on, yet without appearing
>to have taken any pictures. But come away with absolutely stunning
>naturally looking photographs.
>
>In my case I've had to shoot during a meeting of executives with the Prime
>Minister, capture facial expressions, hand motions while a point was being
>made and or any number of little nuances happening during the meeting.
>
>Doing all without disturbing anyone nor drawing attention to myself as a
>photographer. Piece of cake when you learn some of the tricks. ;-)
>
>1/
>You must be in the room and in your position before anyone else is there
>of any importance.
>
>2/
>You select your position where you'll sit to make use of the best light
>for the main players. No you do not stand like a statue and walk about
>because you'll be asked to leave, you become a "visual moving
>distraction!" Not only do you sit but you don't fidget around. Your 3 or 4
>cameras are loaded with new rolls and ready to go with basic exposures
>set. Other rolls are out of the canisters in a shirt or jacket pocket for
>easy access when re-loading.
>
>3/
>As people arrive you sit quietly and it's absolutely essential you are in
>place before they arrive because when they do and see "some guy with
>cameras" most of the time they think "press? what the hell's he doing in
>here?" If you personally know anyone as they enter a nod of the head in
>recognition is all that's necessary, keep your mouth shut unless
>addressed, then answer quickly & quietly. The least of this the better!
>Remember you are the recorder not attending the meeting. Some guys can't
>keep their mouth shut if they were at they're own funeral. You just
>remember to keep yours shut in this kind of situation.
>
>Once everyone is in place look for empty chairs around the periphery of
>the room where you might need to move to during the session. Providing it
>can be done without anyone realizing you've changed position. HOW? ;-)
>Piece of cake! ;-)
>
>4/
>When you want to move, "You must know exactly where you're going!" That is
>before you even stand up! Don't stand up and start looking for some place
>because the meeting, those sitting around a big table, who are facing in
> [...]

Replies: Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?)
Message from aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler) ([Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Re: DMR mk II ?)