Subject: [Leica] Tina and Digital (was, Enlarger
From: jhnichols at bellsouth.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Mon Feb 6 18:45:25 2006

Marc,
I think that you are the victim of "overkill".  I have also been exposed to
computers for over 20 years, am now a retired, 76-year old, former engineer.
I use the simplest form of PhotoShop that I can find, which is PhotoShop LE,
or Limited Edition.  It has all of the tools that I require to crop, size
and adjust digital images from comercial scans to CD, or from a digital
camera.  The problem with the latest, full versions, of PhotoShop is they
try to offer tools for everyone to do everything, and, hence, are great for
the demanding pros and graphic artists, but are far too complicated for the
casual user.

I find that the same is true in currently available digital cameras.  This
week I bought a Fuji FinePix F10 6.3mp camera and, after several days, I can
now take simple photos in AUTO and get the feel of the camera.  The
multitude of menus is way more than I require, but, I wanted a camera of
this quality in order to get other features.  I have watched my sons and
grandchildren, now grown, buy expensive digicams and then use just a few
features in order to make very pleasing photos, especially when they are of
my great-grandson who I see only  occasionally.

My point is this:  Find the simplest route to dip your feet in the "digital
water", and then decide if it is worth the swim.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA