Subject: [Leica] re: Epson RD-1
From: nickbroberts at yahoo.co.uk (Nick Roberts)
Date: Mon Feb 6 01:28:36 2006

Frank, I've been printing exclusively digitally for 7
years now, having sold off most of my darkroom stuff
when moving to Scotland (before, alas, moving
back...). I'm very happy with digital working in many
ways, but what I miss is making (or trying to make, in
my case!) big prints coaxed from HP5 and the Leica, or
somewhat more easily from the Rolleis. Yes, of course
I can simply pass a digital file to a lab and end up
with a very decent print, but it's just not as much
fun, and anyway, decent enlargers are almost given
away s/h these days. So, however illogical, it's
something I fancy, and helps me keep all my favourite
film cameras in use - and anyway, I'm sick of grain
aliasing with B&W and pepper grain with Velvia.

Now the 5D is the digital camera I've wanted for a
long time. Light enough to carry, will take all my
Canon lenses (and my, er, rather heretical for this
list Zeiss lenses - I'm M and LTM, not R), and capable
of excellent quality all the way to ISO 3200. And
comparatively cheap...it's just about got the lot.

Nick

--- Frank Dernie <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com> wrote:

> Hi Nick,
> I dismantled my wet darkroom in 2005 after almost 20
> years of
> continuous use. The bits are in the cellar, I don't
> have the heart to
> sell them. I print entirely from the computer now.
> Scans are
> difficult to get as good as direct digital files
> IME.
> I can recommend the 5D, most of what you get in a
> 1Ds Mk2 for much
> less. It doesn't have the weather sealing and the
> autofocus - which I
> don't use much - is better on the 1 series. The
> weight and size are a
> massive advantage. I would like more adaptors for my
> R lenses. I
> perhaps would not have bought the 1Ds if the 5D had
> been first. The
> 5D does not have as good a focussing screen choice
> as the 1 series
> though for manual focus. It also has a bigger mirror
> clearance
> requirement so fewer R lenses fit.
> Frank

Yahoo! Messenger - NEW crystal clear PC to PC calling worldwide with
voicemail http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com