Subject: [Leica] Fedka
From: leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee)
Date: Sun Jan 29 10:38:54 2006

Not quite on topic but this is the best place I can think of...

I've used M's for a few years and have a fairly decent idea of how
the camera works, and am become quite good at getting indifferent to
poor photos out of it....  (Not the camera's fault...)

But sometime in the next week or so the postlady is going to hand
over to me a box from Yuri; in that box will be a Kiev 4AM with a
Helios-103 on the front.... and this is a horse of a different
feather to me. I'm also presuming that IF it comes with a manual
it'll be in a language other than English.

Is there anything particular about this camera that I need to know
BEFORE it starts teaching me how it works?  Things that wouldn't be
reasonably obvious or intuitive to someone who's pretty familiar with
handling manual/mechanical cameras in general -- known weaknesses,
strange sequences or linkages,  things that one needs to be careful
NOT to do, that sort of thing?  I think there was SOMETHING Russian
that it was supposedly bad for the camera to change the shutter speed
once you'd cocked the shutter, but that was years ago and I don't
recall anything more... and I'm not sure I've ever actually laid eyes
on a 35mm Kiev.

I've read what I can find on the Web but, like car manuals, there are
always things that "everyone knows" so nobody bothers to mention
them...

Thanks in advance....

--

R. Clayton McKee                           http://www.rcmckee.com