Subject: [Leica] Further adventures of a completely screwed up guy: long and occasionally on topic
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sat Jan 28 23:45:35 2006

The most enjoyable car I've ever owned was a Lotus Elan S2. After
working all day on a nuclear submarine it's complete lack of anything
electrical that actually WORKED was a pleasure. My machinest mate
friends would always drop over to help me monkey around with it.
Getting the Webers set up was fun, trying to figure out the unsaid
pages from the shop manual was another. And learning to drive it
smoothly - the Elan has these rubber donuts and those donuts store
energy as you apply power and they give it back when you take power
off - which for a while made for motion sickness while I learned how
to actually drive subtley.

But it was a wonderful machine. When work was stressful I'd take the
back road from Mare Island to Fairfield that went up to Lake
Berryessa, a zillion curves and every one of them prime for a light
little car like the Elan.

Sigh. It was an intimate car, demanding of care, and a ton of fun. My
540i is still the most nearly perfect car I've ever owned - only a
couple of things i might change. But the Lotus was the most fun.

Adam