Subject: [Leica] Fedka
From: pswango at att.net (pswango@att.net)
Date: Sat Jan 28 17:27:55 2006

I just received the Elmar copy I ordered from Fedka.  It arrived exactly as
described and is several times better finished and more functional than the
other Soviet "Elmar" I have.  Focus is accurate and smooth, glass is clean
and clear, collapsing works as it should.  For $35, a bargain IMO.  Now I
have to test it out on a camera.  More later ...

However, I'm not sure I'd call it an Elmar copy.  The rear element is a bit
smaller in diameter than my 1950 Leitz Elmar and the diaphragm is just in
front of the rear glass rather than just behind the front glass, as in a
true Elmar.  My other FSU Elmar is the same.  Considering that the pedigree
of the FSU lenses runs through Zeiss and not Leitz, I'm wondering if it's
not a Tessar copy, at least optically.  (Not that it matters.)  I'll try to
snoop around on the Vade Mecum CD and see what I can find out.  Anyone here
know more?

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE