Subject: [Leica] RE: PAW Week 3 Jeffrey---Nagin
From: puff11 at comcast.net (Norm Aubin)
Date: Sat Jan 28 00:07:28 2006

Lee,

It's not about being cold hearted, or not caring.  There is a term used in
the medical profession - it's triage.   When time and resources are limited,
or when there are competing needs, one must use the available resources in
the most effective way possible, or suffer even greater losses for failing
to make appropriate judgment.  I  think that many folks are ignoring the
fundamental proposition I put forth; that the money should go to the people
and to the improvement of their lives, and not to the building of edifices.
I don't hear any cogent discussion on why working to improve the human
condition is less important than rebuilding the edifices.

That's not about being heartless, quite the contrary.  Frankly, I would
rather see 50,000 or more people raised up from their poverty and living in
other places, than have the government go in and do a massive rebuilding of
the old city that was, followed by busses and trucks dropping them back
where they were.  The latter scenario is a cold and heartless future if you
ask me.  If we are to use similes, then to transform yours into something
more appropriate; I believe in trying to help cure an addict, or an
alcoholic, not in building another bar or crack house for them when the old
one gets destroyed.  It's not about blaming the victim, its about whether
one should enable the victim to continue in a self-destructive manner.
There is an expression - Insanity is continuously repeating a process and
expecting a different outcome.

I have and expect I will continue to give my help to people in need, without
keeping score.  Whether or not I need or receive help from others later is
up to them and their conscience.  I also know that if I build my house on a
cliff-side, and then have it collapse, I hope that my caring friends will
help dissuade me from repeating that folly, and I am fairly confident that
they will not reach into their pockets to fund it.  I am sorry if I
misconstrue what you are saying, but your words lead me to believe that to
you, the only acceptable help is to re-build what was destroyed, as it was.
The colloquial expression is - "My way or the Highway".    I don't believe
that this is the only solution that should be considered.

Please, enlighten me, I truly want to understand why the city, the buildings
and structures, the idea of recreating the place, is preferable to using
this opportunity to cause a fundamental shift in our national priorities.
We have neglected the plight of the poor and minorities for almost the whole
time we have been a nation.  Why isn't this the perfect opportunity to shift
our attention to helping those people, and in doing so, establish a national
effort to then address it in other places.  Should we just try and
re-establish the status quo ante?

Norm

 What about San Andreas?  It's still
> ticking away - just waiting.  What perceived obligation do we have in that
> event and its aftermath, and by way of prevention, preparation and
> reparation?

Norm,
If I need to chill a beer off I'll stick it next to your heart.  You have
intelligent, cogent, and lucid arguments--but like the tin woodsman, you
have no heart.  This line of thinking is why we can't get help.  It's the
same argument used against the rape victim--well, if she hadn't worn such a
short skirt...
    I don't know you, but I know you're like the rest of us--one day you're
going to get caught  in the kind of trouble you don't want.  And it's
possible you're going to ask for help.  And it may be you're going to ask a
person like you.

Lee England
Natchez, Mississippi
USA