Subject: [Leica] OT - Konica Minolta Scanners and ???
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Jan 26 00:41:07 2006

McIntosh, Red Delicious, Jonathan, Criterion, Valencias, Gravenstein which
one is the best?
    This a trick question which requires a sharp mind as you'd have to know
in this list of apples the Valencias don't belong. A Valencias in an orange
not a apple!
 In every basket of apples there's a Valencia Orange? Never seen it happen.
In every basket of apples a bad apple you'll dig up but an orange no,

Here I am getting all excited but this 4990 is the orange in a basket of
scanner apples! A favorite saying on the lug over the years... Apples and
oranges,
The 4990 is a flat bed. If all you did is medium format, panoramic and or
sheet film it would be a just the thing. But this is more of a Focomat
group. We'd never let Brownie film in our house! Not gritty enough! People
aren't going to recommend a flat bed for hardcore 35mm users, They are not
doesn't and don't have the specs for that. It would be going up to Johnny
Appleseed and handing him an orange. Having a person in the crowd in a
Miller Beer Ad drinking a glass of red wine.

Unless all your ever making is very low rez images like 4x6s or web pix from
your Leica and never a thought of a letter sized inkjet on good paper and
most of what you scan is big stuff. Film or paper based. Paper based as in
prints,.

All the photographers I know use Nikon scanners. Even the Canon shooters who
you'd think would only use the word "Nikon" in vain. I love the Epson
company but when it comes to scanners id just as soon blow my nose in a
Scotty instead of a Kleenex than go to strangers in the scanner department.
You're just asking for trouble before you even start.
Its like "What's wrong with my car!!?"
"Its a Ford!"
(does not represent the personal opinion of this email person)

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon
http://rabinergroup.com/