Subject: [Leica] RE: The lower ninth ward
From: Engl6914 at cableone.net (Lee England)
Date: Tue Jan 24 03:24:57 2006

> the world is unaware of all this (see above and below... )  . People
> are out there taking photos in Iraq and Niger, and many other God
> forsaken places... so forget the mud.... and get out there and get
> some quality photos...
>
> I believe you are missing the chance of a lifetime...
>
> Steve

Steve,

    I think part of the problem of photographing the devastation in New
Orleans is the enormity of it, the awfulness, the lives lost.  The camera
just seems like a useless thing in your hand.  It's like there're some
things photography just can't handle.  Oh, I can try, and I will.  I'll post
some as I get them printed.  You might get an emotional reaction to them,
but it'll be nothing like mine.  It would be like someone who has been in
violent military combat trying to tell someone else what it's like.  After a
minute he gets quiet because he can see it's no use; the feeling can't be
conveyed.  It's like the first time I walked into the Rouen Cathedral;
photography just can't convey that feeling.  It can convey some feeling, but
not the one you are feeling.

Lee England
Natchez, Mississippi  USA

Replies: Reply from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] RE: The lower ninth ward)