Subject: [Leica] RE: Way OT: Shooting 8x10 LF and contact printing
From: scott at adrenaline.com (Scott McLoughlin)
Date: Sun Jan 22 19:42:16 2006

Norm and everyone else who replied,

Thanks so much for your direction and advice. I believe I actually
do have to tools needed to print a digital 8x10 negative, and thus explore
the contact printing process minus an 8x10 view camera.  I have an Epson
2200 and a little C86 with quadtone inks (which I find I prefer to the 2200
thus far) that I use for printing B&W, and I believe either will do the
trick. I'll
still need to explore aspects of this digital -> analog process, but it
might
get me going sooner rather than later.

This approach also made me recall the "alternative process" forum on the
APUG web site, where I believe some folks are pursuing "digital negatives"
in this manner. I think I'll spend some hours scouring the archives there.

My brother used to keep a darkroom, and he's offered to loan me his
equipment
which I'll imagine I'll shoe horn into my bathroom :-) So that's some
good news.

The suggestion of a 5x7 view camera might be a good one. I often print my
photographs @ 5x7. Since I currently scan negs and print digitally, I
find that
5x7 provides an adequate size to view the photograph but still with
adequate
print quality from the scanned B&W negs.  So making 5x7 contact prints from
a 5x7 negative might be a very satisfying experience.  I've come to actually
really like this format and print size.

I'm pleased that there were no negative comments on the Tachihara camera,
as it seems like a relatively economical tool for the job.

Thanks again for everyone's comments and suggestions.

Scott

--
Pics @ http://www.adrenaline.com/snaps
Leica M6TTL, Bessa R, Nikon FM3a, Nikon D70, Rollei AFM35