Subject: [Leica] Digital Treadmill II
From: SonC at aol.com (SonC@aol.com)
Date: Mon Jan 16 14:09:09 2006

In a message dated 1/16/2006 3:30:16 P.M. Central Standard Time,
rhaightjr@yahoo.com writes:

>>All this talk about film vs. digital is  really
>>irrelevant to those who look to this list  for
>>thoughts, examples and discourse on the use of Leica  M
>>products.

Well said, Bob.

  If anyone follows threads that I contribute to, they will know that  for a
couple years I played with digital, almost to the point of   M-neglect.

When you return to Leica M cameras from the digital workflow, there are
some
things you have to give up, and some things you gain.  The thing that  I
give
up first is autofocus.  That's not a small thing, because in the  film world
I lived in Before Digital  (B.D.) (heh)  I was not an AF  type guy.  So af
was
something that I gained with digital.

Many years ago when I got my first Agfa rangefinder  I was scared to  death
of all the dials and buttons on it.  After time, f stops, dof scales  and
the
like make perfect sense to me, and I find the menus of digital  ponderous.
ended up setting them to do things pretty much one way.   So I gave up some
control of how the picture will look to the digital  camera.  In return, I
got
variable ISO, and a nearly (for me) endless  shooting capability each day

With the M of course I give up zooms.  Handy critters,zooms, but I get  lens
speed as a tradeback.

With digital, I give up negatives.  I don't know about you, but I like
negatives.  They remind me of the promise they hold.  I can hold a  sheet to
the
light and see some things about the shot right away.  I can  almost tell
more
about a shot from a negative than I can from a machine  print.  With
digital, I
give up scratches and dust, but that is not  enough.

I don't shoot it anymore, but I get to play with 4 x 5 negatives as much as
I want at work, as we have several tens of thousands in our collection.
The
other day our secretary found negative portraits of me from 1965 from one of

the local photogs.  I scanned one that had been the choice, then I scanned
another, and realized the chosen negative had been hand-spotted. What
beautiful
work!

Johnny Deadman was discussing some of these issues on another list, and he
put together this, which I hope he doesn't mind if I quote, as he seems to
have
 thought about it more than I have, and expresses it without the emotion
that
 I  bring to the discussion

"the two media/digital have a lot of important differences (not necessarily
essential... some of them are just circumstantial) which do add up to a very

different photographic experience:

-- thinginess vs. insubstantiality of  the ur-image (neg/digital file)
-- (typically) manual vs. automatic  exposure
-- (typically) manual vs. automatic focus
-- mechanical vs.  electronic
-- tradition vs. modernity
-- cost per image vs. individual  images are free
-- (typically) stringent limits on number of images you can  shoot vs. loose
limits
-- (typically) weird-ass formats available vs. a small  number of digital
formats
-- slow post-processing vs. fast  post-processing
-- physical interaction with the camera vs. pushing  buttons
-- image reflects physical characteristics of camera & materials  vs.
qualities of image (typically) dependent on post-processing
-- slow  feedback vs. instant feedback
-- independent of batteries, laptops etc vs  dependent
-- (typically) pleasure in the camera vs.  camera-as-appliance

and so on and so on. Like I say, these reflect more  the typical usage of
the
media rather than any inherent differences... you can  think of
counter-examples to almost every one of these"

So, Bob, you are right, though I doubt the discussions will end soon.   This
is the LUG, after all.

Regards,
Sonny
http://www.sonc.com