Subject: [Leica] Scanners (nikon to discontinue most film cameras)
From: bruent at shaw.ca (Bruce)
Date: Thu Jan 12 10:09:39 2006

On Jan 12, 2006, at 09:04, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> I've always wondered how that would work. The Nikon LS-5000 is not
> very good at finding frames. I almost always have to fiddle with the
> pre-scan. Once you set it for the first one on a roll, does it manage
> to find the rest fairly well?
The Nikon roll adapter costs more than some scanners. I have not tried
one, most reports suggest it works though I did read of some problems.
An alternative to the attachment, at least for batch proof scans (and
with some advantages if you have a significant amount of film already
cut in strips) would be one of the better flat bed scanners (the Canon
9950 or several similar Epson's). The Canon can handle 5 strips of 6,
the Epson's take up to 4 strips. The Canon is fairly reliable at
finding frames. Scan quality is according to other reports inferior to
a good dedicated scanner (e.g. Nikon 5000 or the Minolta 5400), but the
flatbeds also scan larger formats and positives, and cost same or less
than the Nikon bulk attachment.