Subject: [Leica] Re: St. Pauli Girl
From: dnygr at cshore.com (dnygr)
Date: Mon Jan 9 14:11:02 2006

I don't know about the rest of you, but I feel many German beers have lost
their distinctive taste. Danish beers as well. Is it just me or has their
been a drift in the taste of European beers?

I do know that I have been disappointed by the taste of Pilsner Urquell on
tap of late and I began to wonder if the brew had been changed.

I did a google search and found the company had been bought by the same
folks who picked up Miller in this country.

Further research showed that some English chaps have been noting a change in
brewing traditions on the continent. They noted that some breweries in the
Czech Republic have gone from 60 days to 40 days of fermentation. They said
the result was a beer that while not offensive was not memorable. This fit
how I experienced Pilsner Urquell of late. That beer used to have a
distintive taste to my pallete.

It may just be that my taste buds have changed and the English chaps are
making it all up. It would be interesting to hear if anyone else has noted
the change.

Prosit--Doug

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Was St. Pauli Girl is beer quality)