Subject: [Leica] Screwmount camera recommendations
From: msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sun Jan 8 13:03:37 2006

At 12:29 PM 1/8/06 -0800, feli wrote:
>Didn't they halt production for a few weeks or months, right after the
surrender in May
>and the "capture" of the factory?

>I would have to disagree with that. Unlike the VIDOM, the VIOOH shows the
image properly
>oriented and framing is very accurate. It also has better eye relief, than
some of the other finders.
>It is relatively compact and once the prism blocks has been cleaned, very
bright. They also happen
>to be cheap and plentyful

On the first point, they were in full production when the plant was
captured.  I would have to check with Emil Keller but I am unaware of any
break in production, as the US Army certainly encouraged German optical
firms to continue production for gear useful in the anticipated DOWNFALL
invasion of Japan.  Zeiss was certainly ordered to remain in full
production, and I suspect that6 this was also the case with Leitz.

On the second point, the Imarect is useless as an auxiliary VF.  I
recognize that it is superior to the earlier VIDOM but that is saying that
horrible is better than really nasty.  Neither are useful.  Try using an
Imarect at, say, its 9cm or 13.5cm settings to see just how worthless they
are when compared to the Zeiss, SPS, Astro, or the like VF's are.  Optical
magnification versus mechanical stopping-down?  Give us all a break!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

NEW FAX NUMBER:  +540-343-8505