Subject: [Leica] Re: OT- Adfvice needed re. film scanner
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Jan 6 06:14:16 2006

A lot of people swear by Vuescan. I'm not one of them. I haven't found
any better results using Vuescan, versus scanning raw (using software
that comes with the scanner) and Photoshop. I've used Nikon, Epson and
Minolta scanners, and Vuescan since 1999. (Leaf scanners too, though not
with Vuescan)

I recently spent countless hours trying to produce an image with Vuescan
that equaled the same neg scanned with Dimage Scan Utility (RAW) and
converted in Photoshop. I couldn't. I kept getting strange artifacts and
more noise with VS. They weren't obvious, but on close examination they
were there, and I could eliminate them. I kept thinking, "this can't be,
it's Vuescan!" I tweaked every setting I could think of, but I couldn't
unlock the key.

I'm sure if I'd spent that time on the DSU PS combo, I could have
improved on that scan. As it was it was plug and play.

There are some unique things you can do with Vuescan. It's interesting
software. It costs less than Silverfast, which many compare it to. The
user interface is somewhat kludgy. And maybe others are better than I
using it. I already have PS, and scanning software comes bundled with
every scanner. FWIW, I've had good luck with that.