Subject: [Leica] surgery
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Thu Jan 5 10:31:02 2006

Richard S. Taylor offered:
> I often travel with a man who has an artificial hip.  He always tells the
> inspectors about it before walking through the metal detectors. On one
> trip outbound through Boston's Logan airport, he set off the metal
> detector as always and after the usual routine of emptying pockets, and
> removing watch, shoes and belt,  etc., to no avail, he reminded the TSA
> guy about his hip.  "Would you take it off please, sir?" was the
> response.<<<<<

Dick,
"no comment!"

However one that probably sets the record for security stupidity!
1992 Summer Olympics, Barcelona, Spain entering the media swimming venue
side entrance.

Man in front of a half dozen photographers walks through when all the bells
and alarms go off throwing the security guys into frantic tizzies!

Physically grab the guy and near strip search him right there in front of
everyone. Then send him through again. Away go the alarms, he points out he
has a prosthesis leg. They up his pant leg and sure enough there it was. Now
it would seem reasonable this was the cause and they'd let him pass..

NOPE! They brought a chair he sat down, took the leg off and had to "hop"
back and hop through without it! Meanwhile we're all standing watching this
magnitude of action in security stupidity. On 2nd hop through no alarms, he
sit's down re-place's artificial leg and they let him in. The day returns to
normal.

Now that's security stupidity of the first magnitude. But over there the
stories were endless with this kind of idiocy.

ted

Message from abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] surgery)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] surgery)
Message from r.s.taylor at comcast.net (Richard S. Taylor) ([Leica] surgery)