Subject: [Leica] tri-x and microdol-x
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Tue Jan 3 11:28:00 2006

> Philippe Orlent <philippe.orlent@pandora.be>
> Subject: [Leica] tri-x and microdol-x
> To: LUG Group <lug@leica-users.org>

> Just bought both to see how they combine.
> But having never worked with either: are there things that I should
> know?
> Do's and don'ts?
> Push or pull?
> Dilute or not?
> I would be very grateful if the combined knowledge base of the LUG
> would help me on this one.

As the others have said, rate the film at a lower ISO.  I've used Microdol
straight with various films.  I got grainless (but sharp) results once
rating Tri-X at 32 ISO and pulling the film early. (I learned inspection
development years ago, so I can stop processing or extend it until the film
looks right under the green light).

These negatives were made at a meeting where they unexpectedly provided
models and studio strobes for attendees to use.  The only film I had with
me was Tri-X, so even at low power I had to stop down to f/32 with my 85mm
f/2 LTM Nikkor.  The 16x20's from this shoot looked like Panatomic-X.

BTW, Rodinal and Tri-X work great if the original scene is high contrast
and has lots of detail and texture.  The Rodinal will lower the contrast
and make everything look sharp, but any smooth-toned areas in the picture
WILL show nasty grain.

Alan

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer