Subject: [Leica] Re: Canon, Leica and German goods
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Sun Jan 1 06:49:00 2006

Not to sure about that Javier,
If I remember rightly, Leica, Schott and co still have some pretty
secret glass mixtures on the stove, I believe they are also front
runners in the production of cast (moulded) asphericals too, add this to
their custom built design/QA/QC equipment and their lens
grinding/polishing equipment with tolerances measured in angstrom units,
there does seem to be quite a bit of stuff worth having.
I see Canon digitals (SLR) with Leica glass in Leica barreled/Canon AF
mounts (replacing the L series), a hybrid Leica/Canon dual range of RFs
(digital and film with common components i.e. modular guts) possibly
with lower priced entry models under the Canon banner, and the death of
the Leica SLRs as we know them.  And the selling off of the Sport Optics
Division to ???????? (Swarovski in Austria perhaps).
Douglas
Sitting here, just taking a break from translating VWs coming
merchandising catalogue, and
a lover of just about everything German (including my wife and son -
Posy, the cat, is a Somali, but I love her too)

Replies: Reply from summarex at hotmail.com (Javier Perez) ([Leica] Re: Canon, Leica and German goods)