Subject: [Leica] Re: OT: What about England NOW: Scotch barrels!
From: manolito at videotron.ca (Emanuel Lowi)
Date: Tue Dec 13 05:28:56 2005

>Your quoted article from the "Wall Street Journal?"  Heaven forbid I should
>suggest the writer might be wrong and meant " aged in Sherry barrels, not
>wine ?" Sherry barrels it's a known fact to single malt drinkers?  Or users
>for medicinal purposes, ;-) we know the best comes from aging in Sherry
>barrels!"
>
>Yes your, "It sure sounds mellow to me." is exactly where the mellow comes
>from, the Sherry barrels.
>
>However, if it truly is a "wine barrel"  then I stand corrected in the case
>of the McCallan and will be flogged at sunrise of this following day! :-(

FYI, Sherry IS a kind of wine. Sometimes a fortified wine (alcohol added to
fermented grape juice) but a wine nonetheless. Port is a fortified wine.

Some Scotch makers are aging their stuff in ex-Sherry or Port barrels, but
also sometimes in ex-Bordeaux barrels. New oak barrels are quite pricey.

Emanuel

Replies: Reply from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Re: OT: What about England NOW: Scotch barrels!)