Subject: [Leica] Closing my darkroom
From: jonathan at openhealth.org (Jonathan Borden)
Date: Sat Dec 3 11:19:39 2005

In the past few years I've been scanning 35mm film (Minolta5400) and
printing using an Epson 2200... also using MIS Carbon inks on a
C84... there is no question that matte prints on the 2200 or with
carbon inks have a nice quality... the prints are particularly
terrific when a "pastel" sort of look is needed.

Yet when I compare these prints side by side to traditional darkroom
selenium toned air dried DW fiber the prints don't have the same
appearance ... in many cases the inkjet prints don't have the
"emotional impact" of the air dried fiber prints. I haven't been able
to quite place my finger on what has been lacking (of course SWMBO
says simply "the blacks aren't very dark" :-) She has been pretty
much able to spot an inkjet print in an instant whether mine or in a
gallery.

In the past couple of weeks I've got my new Epson 4800 printer up and
running. The prints are nothing short of amazing when placed side by
side with a fiber print ... these prints have it. The blacks are just
as black perhaps blacker (using Epson Premium Glossy or Luster).

When closely viewed, these new inkjet prints look more like a fiber
print than an RC print (at least to my eye). I think that is because
the RC prints often have a slightly veiled appearance -- I've assumed
this is because the silver is not on the very surface of the print
but slightly buried in the RC. The matte inkjet prints have the
appearance of a flat surface of ink i.e. lacking in depth. The glossy
K3 prints (from the 2400/4800/7800/9800 series) have an entirely
transparent depth akin to a fiber print. The blacks are Azo/Amidol
black ... really. I'm now having a hard time justifying why I'd
return to wet printing except for ? fun ?.

Bring on the digital M ....

Jonathan