Subject: [Leica] Aaron's PAW 47: Thanksgiving 2005
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Fri Dec 2 15:36:41 2005

Gracias, Luis!

My standard B&W conversion is a pretty simple action in PS: channel mixer
to monochrome with 50%red, 50%blue, 0%green, then a Level adjustment for
black point and white point and I sometimes move the middle too, and
finally usually a little curve with the middle pulled down
slightly.  Depending on the photo, I might deviate on the channel mixer
ratios or change the curve to an S shape to add some contrast, but I didn't
with these.  The key for me has been to convince the Costco one-hour lab to
do the scan with all of their auto-corrections off...without this the
contrast skyrockets and it gets ugly.  When I rescan the good negs later
for printing I usually find the tones to be much nicer, but I still use a
similar method with the addition of sharpening via high pass filter and an
edge mask.

Thanks for looking,
Aaron

Message from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] Aaron's PAW 47: Thanksgiving 2005)