Subject: [Leica] Xtol dev times - PC-TEA
From: durling at cox.net (Mike Durling)
Date: Tue Nov 29 10:03:08 2005

I'm pretty excited about PC-TEA.  This is a developer invented by
Patrick Gainer.  I think it was written up in Photo Techniques about a
year ago.

To make the stock solution:
90G Vitamin C powder
2.5G Phenidone
1L Triethanolamine (TEA)

The tricky part is that you have to heat up the TEA to dissolve the rest
of the ingredients.  TEA is not classified as hazardous and is available
from chemistrystore.com and Photographer's Formulary.

In use you dilute it 1:50.  It contains NO sulfite.  There is also no
water in the stock solution so it is not supposed to deterioriate with age.

I've only done a few tests to establish a development time, which looks
like 8 minutes @ 72F with HP5+ at 1:50.  Grain looks extremely fine with
none of the clumping you get with D-76.

Mike D

Replies: Reply from jblack at ambio.net (John Black) ([Leica] Xtol dev times - PC-TEA)