Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 30, Issue 555
From: imagist at imagist.cnc.net (George Lottermoser)
Date: Sat Nov 19 12:30:41 2005

> From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@comcast.net>
> Subject: Re: [Leica] PAW week 16

> And people think they need to shoot film....why? :-)

For the look and pleasure that film cameras offer ;-) also for "fine
detail" on slow emulsions.

I find myself relying on the 20d, carrying it always, finally arriving
at a work-flow-groove with digital imaging software. But I truly miss
using the M's (I fear that I won't be able to afford the digital
version), blads, and view cameras. There's definitely something missing.
As I mentioned to someone off-list last week; re: view camera work -
after spending many moments to hours under a dark cloth to get
everything right - that moment when you close the shutter, stop down to
that perfect f:stop and slide the film holder into the back and grab the
cable release - m-m-m-m-good. Especially when the film holder holds 8x10
inches of film (the perfect negative IMHO, 11x14 and 12x20 was fun but
just too damn big). Then you get another rush, when in the darkroom you
achieve perfect the development of that single negative. And another
when that print begins to appear in the tray.

I love the look of a fine inkjet print. But I don't have the same
feeling when the thing comes out of the printer that I do when that
illusive image appears in a tray.

There's also a magic when photographing in the studio, or on location
and the subject and/or client doesn't know what you've got "in the can."
They just trust you; and only you know the magic you've succeeded or
failed to capture.

Likewise when doing documentary work - the tension I felt with 5 rolls
of film in my pocket has disappeared.

I'm not making a case for film. Simply, expressing the thoughts and
feelings which float about as my work flow changes. I could also express
positive ideas and opinions about the digital work flow. The sentimental
difference probably rests in the fact that I spent literally 45 serious,
professional years with film in darkrooms, and only a few in this
digital capture/print realm.

There's also something weird about not being able to afford to work
daily with best digital (medium format backs and scanning backs) after
cutting my teeth on 8x10 and hassy chromes from my teens on. For all of
our digital toying around - looking at 5x7 jpg's on screen - anyone
who's serious about digital photography owes themselves a look at a
state-of-the-art digital file on a large, well calibrated monitor - and
a lightjet print from same. Yes, film quality is possible but we're not
getting it with our toys. Close. Maybe even close enough. But :-)

regards, George

Replies: Reply from bdcolen at comcast.net (B. D. Colen) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 30, Issue 555)
Reply from philippe.orlent at pandora.be (Philippe Orlent) ([Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 30, Issue 555)