Subject: [Leica] A Noctilux and Velvia ...
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri Nov 18 18:22:18 2005

On 11/18/05 1:50 PM, "Rick Dykstra" <rdcb37@dodo.com.au> typed:

> This bowling alley shot (which I also like!) pretty well sums up my
> thoughts on the Noctilux.  It's not a sharp lens!  Not compared with
> Leica's sharp lenses.  Sure, you can take portraits in good light at
> f1 and 1000th, but sharpish eyes with blurry tip of nose and totally
> mashed ears is not a good look for young women I've found.
>
> The zone for the Nocti is f1 and a 15th to a 30th in dim light.  At
> f1 and a 15th, nothing is sharp, sharp, sharp.  But oh boy it can
> look like one of those old paintings.  A bit surreal.
>
> I like to take the Nocti out for some good one-on-one play every now
> then.  It's best used when the others are left behind.
>
> Rick.

Well shooting wide open with an f1 lens at a fifteenth hand held is a good
example of a final performance of a lens no.
I've gotten all kinds of very sharp images with the Noct f1 to f16 and blown
them up in the darkroom 16x20 by the dozens and no one was the wiser. And
projected slides with Leica slide projector glass. At around f1 you can
guess it's a Noctilux though. Stopped down it seems as good as any other
Leica 50.

Mark Rabiner
Photography
Portland Oregon