Subject: [Leica] A Noctilux and Velvia ...
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Nov 15 08:19:25 2005

Rick Dykstra showed:

> Every now and then the Nocti catches something that makes me think it  was
> worth it.
>
> It was dark enough in the bowling alley at the kids' party. Then they
> turned the lights down and put on the swirly coloured mirror ball  <<<<

Hi Rick,
I know some folks don't like the look of a Noctilux at if 1.0, but it's the
great separator to capture moments by available darkness as the example of
your daughter, "OK dad knock off the picture taking already, where's the
food?" ;-)

I could never understand when people bought a Noctilux then never used it at
f 1.0 because they didn't like the look or they regularly shoot.. "f 8.0 and
be there" attitude.

But a Noctilux in the hands of a photog who beleives, "if you can see it,
you can shoot it" condition  "jeeeeeeeeeeeesh it's so dark in here I can
hardly see" allows us to capture moments that make for interesting pictures
by "available darkness."  Certainly where other lenses fail! In colour or
B&W.

It's also a great lens to eliminate or cut down on distracting backgrounds
by making the distraction become a mush of colour or grey-black nothing. And
in many cases that out of focus becomes a supporting element of the main
subject sharply in focus.

When I'm using mine on the M7, if I see something in the back ground
distracting I don't even look at the lens I just spin the ring to the wide
open stop and the M7 goes, "click! ";-) Because I know what the lens will
give me. Most times it works. ;-)

I like the atmosphere, another f 1.0 capture thing, the atmosphere of the
location. Magical in colour more so than in B&W.  Or shooting Kodachrome
when it was in vogue, inside where others fear to go without big strobe
set-up.

ted

Ted Grant Photography Limited
1817 Feltham Road