Subject: [Leica] My first problem with Vignetting
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Nov 14 09:12:38 2005

>Thanks Henning.... I am going to try the back way first......
>
>BTW, this vignetting as around 1/8 inch in from the corners, and it is
>totally unexposed.  It is not subtle.
>
>Frank Filippone
>red735i@earthlink.net
>
>Opening the back and looking through the corners with the shutter
>open is a lot more accurate, besides being cheaper and faster, than
>taking shots.

That's a hood or whatever blocking the rays to the corners. Easily
seen when opening the back and looking through the corners. If no
light gets through the corners even when the lens is stopped down to
f/8, that'll translate into the effect you've seen.

BTW, this test is very easy, and totally correct, so if you find a
hood that seems to fit on your lens and you're concerned about the
vignetting issue, you can check it on the spot in about a minute if
you have a body without film. Check first without the hood to see how
it should look, and then with the hood on.

Best is to point your camera at a bright surface (not point source,
as that can obviously mislead you) and angle your camera more and
more until you are looking right through the corners of the frame.

Checking for vignetting on an SLR, by looking from the front through
the lens to see if light passes from the corners of the viewfinder
without being blocked by the hood is not as correct, as the area
shown by the SLR viewfinder is seldom 100% accurate, and the whole
thing is a lot harder to see.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design