Subject: [Leica] PAW 45 dlridings
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Mon Nov 14 06:38:26 2005

On 11/14/05, Richard S. Taylor <r.s.taylor@comcast.net> wrote:
> Daniel - In the general spirit of trying to comment more specifically:
>
> >Dark and gloomy November:
> >
> >http://www.dlridings.com/paw2005/45.html
>
> In this one I like the use of near, middle and far distant objects to
> convey depth but I find the tilted horizon annoying and would have
> liked something to let me know that the stones were 5 M tall.  They
> look quite small in the photo.

Thanks Richard. I should have been more specific. There are a hundred
raised stones here at Li. Stones like this are many times formed in
the shape of a ship. Only _one_ of them is about 5 meters tall. I
didn't take a picture of it, but I will another time. This place is
just down the road from me. The tall stone is right at the edge of the
road. It's not particularly scenic. I have a shot from years back with
my mother standing by it.

Point taken. I'll work on it.

> >Walking around in the rain:
> >
> >http://gallery.leica-users.org/album08/05v45_0021
>
> Here my eye is drawn to the gal with the umbrella on the far sidewalk
> who seems to be a bit chilly and not sure what to do among the other
> blurry, busy figures crossing the street.  It captures the feeling of
> the rainy night.  The tilt works better here.  Nice shot.

Good eye :-) Everyone else was walking against a red light. She was
waiting ... and wondering if she should :-)

The tilt worked out, but I can't take all the credit. It was also a
way to keep rain off of the camera. It was pouring. To give you an
idea of how we have it now, my wife and I were on our way to the 4:30
(in the afternoon) train. It's dreary (but things change :-) )

> On all the pictures you posted I am really taken by their sharpness
> and nice tonality, even under what must have been quite dim available
> light situations.

Tri-X and Xtol 1:2. I was curious about what I could do with the dim
light. But now it's time for Neopan 1600 for a while.

Thanks, Richard. I'll try and make an interesting shot of the tall
stone. It's just a rock, so it will require some thinking.

Daniel