Subject: [Leica] comment on camera reviews in general
From: rangefinder at screengang.com (Didier Ludwig)
Date: Thu Nov 10 06:43:13 2005

>>It seems to me that the camera reviews from the UK appear to be a great
>>deal more honest/ critical than those of the USA. Most of the stuff I've
>>read from MY country is pure B.S. w/ a huge note below to "Buy it here"!
>>What we need is less "Rah-Rah" and more objectivity.
>>Bill

But even dpreview (which seems to be UK based in consideration of the test
shots who come mostly from London locations), has a lot of buy-it-here
links, too; and is in a certain way depending from the favor of the
manufacturers. For instance, to get the news and the the free test cameras
before the other reviewers. And thus even dpreview is tempted to praise
almost everything. More than 50% of their in-depth reviews finish with
"highly recommended".

>(...) Websites like dpreview worry so much on whether or
>not they can see a speck of noise (which they seriously can't define)
>that they forget to tell us whether the camera is any good. (...)
>Dave

The noise is a problem of all small sensors, especially with higher ISO
settings; but the way dpreview is giving importance to that particular
point, let's me make a guess that they are strongly biased toward Canon;
e.g. "Canon is better because their sensors make less noise".

dprev is only interesting for it's news and spec sheets. For reviews, I
prefer luminous landscape, which has a more practical approach.

Didier

Replies: Reply from dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] comment on camera reviews in general)
Reply from jgovindaraj at eth.net (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] comment on camera reviews in general)
Message from wrs111445 at yahoo.com (Bill Smith) ([Leica] RD-1 Catfight--comment on camera reviews in general)