Subject: [Leica] PAW 43 dlridings
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Sun Oct 30 23:27:12 2005

A quiet week, autumn is here. I missed most of the colors when I was
away, but there are still phases.

http://www.dlridings.com/paw2005/43.html

Ewa and I take our week-end walks. On Saturday we went along a five
mile trail in Sandsj?backa and on Sunday we went on another one (felt
like 5 miles straight up, but since we came out at the same place, it
must have come down somewhere).

Sandsj?backa is walking distance from where we live. There's a word I
don't know how to translate: kulturlandskap (culture-landscape,
literally). It implies that nature has not just taken its course, but
you can see signs of human existence; not necessarily building
remains, but even open landscape (signs of cultivation) and the like.

Sandsj?backa is a mixture of large expanses of open heather (grazing
land), forests and lakes. I was away when the heather was in bloom.
Now I just get the sun in my eyes.

http://www.dlridings.com/paw2005/43alt1.html

The land is public, and it is now a nature preserve. But before it
became a park, centuries before, the grazing rights had been assigned
to farms in the vicinity. These rights cannot be revoked (unless you
don't use them and the open landscape starts to revert to brush). Some
of the farms are quite far away and modern expansion cuts them off
from the pastures. But they still use the area.

http://www.dlridings.com/paw2005/43alt2.html

I must be getting old ... no action ...

Best,
Daniel