Subject: [Leica] How are folks handling non-standard matting issues?
From: ericm at pobox.com (Eric)
Date: Sun Oct 30 18:51:57 2005

Adam:

>Shooting pictures that I'm giving to family I get a complaint that
>they are expensive to frame because they have to be custom matted and
>framed.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?ci=1&sb=ps&pn=1&sq=desc&InitialSearch=yes&O=SearchBar&A=search&Q=*&bhs=t&shs=logan+compact+mat+cutter&image.x=0&image.y=0

For $85 plus shipping/handling, you can have yourself a nice mat cutter.

This is the one that I have, but I bought it from a local shop for $109.  I
wanted it, wanted it now, and didn't want to wait for it to come to me.  :)

I buy lots of mats from my local shop.  I found out that if I time it right,
they have a 50% matting supply sale each year.  Last summer, I stocked up on
40 sheets of almost white and 20 sheets of black.  A sheet is 32x40.

That way, I can cut any size opening I want for my "8x10s" and mat them out
to fit in an 11x14 frame.  6x9?  No problem.  When I buy the board on sale,
it ends up costing me about a dollar for 11x14.  Not a huge savings over
Aaron's link, but I have the ability to do small runs anytime I want and
don't have to wait to get $100 worth together.  :)

--
Eric
http://canid.com/