Subject: [Leica] Requesting opinions about the Elmarit-R 24mm
From: Grduprey at aol.com (Grduprey@aol.com)
Date: Sat Oct 29 12:17:39 2005

In a message dated 10/27/2005 6:28:20 AM Central Daylight Time,
rangefinder@screengang.com writes:
I have read there are three types:

- Type 1 (1974-90) 2 or 3 cams
- Type 2 (1990-) 3 cams
- Type 3 (1998-) ROM

My questions are:

- How does this lens perform? Are there optical differences between
the three types?
- As the lens would be used manually with an adapter, am I right
supposing it does not matter if there are 1, 2 or 3 cams or ROM?
- has anyone ever compared this lens to a manual focus Nikkor 24/2.8 or
24/2.0?

Any advice is appreciated. TIA.
Didier

Didier

I have the type II lens with 3 cams.  It works just fine with very good
optical qualities.  All three have the same optical configuration, but the
later
units have 'Leica' Glass instead of Minolta Glass.  ;-)  According to Putts
and
Osterloh, Leica has kept the same optical configuration over the years, but
changed the glass formulas as the older glass types became obsolete/no
longer
available.  Never used either of the other 24's, but love this one.

Gene