Subject: [Leica] Leicasonic LX1 goes to the State Fair
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Sat Oct 22 06:59:09 2005

Hi Folks,

On Thursday I took my brand-spankin'-new Leicasonic LX1 (the twin of the
upcoming DLux2) to the NC State Fair to try it out for some street-ish
photography.  After some neurosing in the parking lot, I managed to leave
my M6 in the trunk, taking _only_ the LX1 into the fair...not an easy thing
for me.

My conclusions in brief:
This camera ain't bad.  It has a very nice interface/usability factor, for
such a small cam.  It's pretty easy and fast to use it with zonefocusing
and full exposure control.  It's got some limitations, but, again, I don't
think they're too bad for such a small, cute, useable package...It ain't no
Leica M in terms of speed, low light ability, battery life, or dynamic
range.  No surprise with any of those.  It won't be what I reach for when
I'm going out for a "serious" day of shooting.  However, if I'm out and
about with this cam and run across a promising street opportunity, I'll
jump right in and have some fun and fully expect to get some nice
pix.  And, yes, it is cute enough (in black) to sit alongside an M.  :)

Here are a dozen or so pix...nothing outstanding, but I think that was more
me & my mood than the Leicasonic...we'll see what happens as we get more
used to each other..
http://www.duke.edu/~ahh2/2005_10_20_NCStateFair2005/

Here are my long-winded thoughts on using this cam on the street:
http://www.duke.edu/~ahh2/2005_10_20_NCStateFair2005/LX1_street.html

I hope those of you considering the LX1 find this useful.

Best,
Aaron

Replies: Reply from mvolo at acpub.duke.edu (Michael Volow) ([Leica] Leicasonic LX1 goes to the State Fair)
Reply from ricc at mindspring.com (Ric Carter) ([Leica] Leicasonic LX1 goes to the State Fair)