Subject: [Leica] Immodest posting about modest success...
From: aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler)
Date: Thu Oct 13 18:56:08 2005

Thanks for the congrats, Tina, and you're most welcome for the link!

For what it's worth:
When using this split tone technique, I've found that it takes me a fair
bit of time to really tweak the tones to avoid an over-sepia (and, to my
eyes, cheesy) look and instead get just a subtle deepness of the tones that
seems to extend the perceived tonal range _way_ beyond what I normally
achieve...when I get it right I feel like I'm being drawn right into the
print.  And after tweaking on screen I always end up having to make several
extra test prints to tweak some more, perhaps because the luminance of the
screen seems to give a very different effect than I get on paper.  Or
perhaps because my screen's not that well profiled!  Hopefully you have a
better profiled screen than I...or you may have enough images in similar
lighting to allow batching to work well...anyway, I hope it doesn't take
you as long for each, because you have a lot more images than I do!

I also discovered that this technique seems to work out best on images with
large areas of dark, dark, dark...might be just the thing for some of your
wonderful "in home" work.

Best,
Aaron

At 09:33 PM 10/13/2005, you wrote:
>At 08:56 PM 10/13/2005, you wrote:
>>2) All are ones that I pseudo-split-toned using the guidance I found at:
>>http://www.computer-darkroom.com./tutorials/tutorial_2_3.htm
>>They make really nice prints, IMO.  Maybe folks like the look of this
>>treatment?
>>
>>Best,
>>Aaron
>
>Congratulations, Aaron!!  Those look great.  I'll have to try that
>technique.  Thanks for sharing it.
>Tina

Replies: Reply from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Immodest posting about modest success...)
Message from kididdoc at cox.net (Steve Barbour) ([Leica] Immodest posting about modest success...)
Message from aaron.sandler at duke.edu (Aaron Sandler) ([Leica] Immodest posting about modest success...)
Message from images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Immodest posting about modest success...)