Subject: [Leica] It's Alive....
From: don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory)
Date: Thu Sep 29 19:38:57 2005

Today, a friend of mine loaned me(long term use) his 1955 M3 and Summarit in
LTM with a lacquered on LTM-M adapter. He hadn't used it in maybe 15 years:
it had a roll of Kodacolor VR film in it that probably dated from 1985 or
so.. As is to be expected the slow speeds weren't cooperating. With a few
hundred frames fired between 1/10 and 1/5 I finally got the slow speed
escapement to start up and function properly. After all the debris of 50
years was cleaned off the windows, this 50 year old M was back and
wonderfully functional.
 I haven't paid much attention to the early M3's but what a revolutionary
camera this was in the early fifities. I especially appreciated the ball
lock on the back door keeping it down unless you wanted to pull it up, no
flopping around here.
 The good news is that with the responsibility for using the camera now
mine, I won't be tempted by any digital toys until oh, say Photokina next
year when I suspect I will have to come up with a deposit for the alleged
dM. Oh, that makes another fifty on my shelf.
 Don
don.dory@gmail.com

Replies: Reply from luisripoll at telefonica.net (Luis Ripoll) ([Leica] It's Alive....)