Subject: [Leica] Cataloging negatives
From: paul at paulhardycarter.com (Paul)
Date: Sun Sep 18 06:57:12 2005

Try different systems until you find something that works for you. If
you're getting behind with cataloguing, or you can't find negs quickly,
or you can't be bothered to use the system, then it's not working for
you!

For what it's worth, this works for me:

Each roll has a ten digit code, for instance 0509181538. It's simply
the year, month, day, hour, minute when the film was loaded. This
number is written on the canister and entered in my log book at the
time of loading, or as soon afterwards as possible. When things are
happening fast I have ways of keeping track for short periods of many
films, but I catch-up as soon as there's a lull. The log book also
records film type, camera used, film speed, location and anything else
that is relevant including, later, where and when the film was
processed.

That is the only reference for that film, and if someone else gives the
film a number for any reason then I make sure I cross-reference.

All films are contacted once developed, and the films and contacts are
stored in separate folders in number order. I keep the whole film in a
single page neg storage sheet. If someone needs a single neg for a
while, I cut that one out and when it's returned it goes back into the
storage sheet, or into a separate little bag taped to the front.

Individual frames are referred to by the frame number, for instance
0509181538/28. All prints have this number written on the back, all
scans use this number as the file name.

Because the system in time based, I can find things easily. For
instance, if I'm looking for a picture of Bucharest I look in my diary
to see when I was there, then pull the contacts, locate the picture I
want, and then pull the film. Although usually, if it's a good picture,
it'll already have been printed, so all I have to do is read the number
on the back of the print.

It works for me but probably wouldn't work for anyone else!

P.

*******
Paul Hardy Carter
www.paulhardycarter.com