Subject: [Leica] buying Ansel portrait?
From: leowesson at charter.net (leo)
Date: Sat Sep 17 22:00:29 2005

Brian,

I would probably contact a gallery to do a search for you;  that
doesn't seem to be a common print... I don't think I have ever seen
an original.   I would suggest the afterimage gallery in dallas, I
think that ben (the owner)  can search stock of other galleries.

http://www.afterimagegallery.com/

Here's some stuff i found interesting...

http://www.davis-art.com/artimages/slidesets/slide.asp?catalognum=A2698

a slide, make your own print (don't tell ansel)
and something to look out for

http://www.stare.net/weber/newsletter/2001newsletter.html
To those opposed to this digitizing process, let me remind you that
besides Smith, copying and reprinting has been going on for a long
time, usually undetected and usually not mentioned. The 1944
photograph of Woman behind Screen Door, Independence, California,
Plate 8, Portfolio V, by Ansel Adams is made from an 8x10 copy
negative made by George Waters from a heavily retouched print,
including air brush work. Morley Baer obviously had copy negatives
made. I saw a print at Photography West Gallery in Carmel that had a
distinct dot pattern. I saw the same print, offered as an original,
in a print auction.

http://www.photoshow.com/memls.html
If you just want to search galleries yourself, there's a link on this
page to search  galleries by photographer but the link doesn't seem
to be working tonight.  (if you love looking at prints, go to the
apiad photoshow sometime, it's amazing)

good luck finding this gem!

leo wesson

Replies: Reply from ealadner at comcast.net (Eric Ladner) ([Leica] buying Ansel portrait?)