Subject: [Leica] Jupiter-8 (50/2.0) piddling around
From: dlridings at gmail.com (Daniel Ridings)
Date: Wed Sep 14 15:28:57 2005

On 9/14/05, Marc James Small <msmall@infionline.net> wrote:
> At 08:46 AM 9/14/05 +0200, Daniel Ridings wrote:
> >Ok, I'm just farting around. When you by one of the lenses you have to
> >run them through the tests so make sure that someone hasn't
> >disassembled them and put them back together any old way they felt
> >like. It happens. I have one that is literally less sharp than the
> >bottom of a Coke bottle (remember those?) because of that.
> >
> >And ... I've always heard that the Sonnars had such nice bokeh:
>
> Well, for starters, sir, Bokeh is Bunk.
>
> Second, the issue is not improper repairs;  the issue is lousy Quality
> Control/Quality Assurance by the Great Workers' Paradise Factories in the
> "bweela SSSR".

No, dick-head (excuse me, LUGers, but this Nazi and I have a history),
the issue is repairs.

It literally looks like the bottom of a coke-bottle. Some eBayer let a
jerk do a CLA and the klutz put it back together wrong.

> The LTM Jupiter-8's were either all made or primarily made
> by the Krasnagorsk Opto-Mechanical Works near Moscow;  those in Contax RF
> BM were made by the Arsenal Plant though I am not certain whether these
> came from their main plant in Kiev or from their secondary plant in Uman,
> both of these being in the Ukraine.

Back then, maybe. But now the things that are being sold have been
"CLA:ed" by "masters" before auction.

Best, my good friend,

Daniel

Message from msmall at infionline.net (Marc James Small) ([Leica] Jupiter-8 (50/2.0) piddling around)