Subject: [Leica] Have you all read peter miller's book?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Sep 13 11:26:49 2005

Kyle Cassidy asked:

> Have I plugged this awesome book written by lugger peter miller lately? I
> just looked at it again today, and it's simply marvelous:
> > http://www.sightphoto.com/sightphoto/miller/
>
> > Miller, a vermonter, jumps in a car, drives to the great plains and
> > knocks
> on doors saying "howdy there, I'm from vermont. I'd like to meet people
> and
> take their pictures" -- (actually, I'd kill to know what he DID say) and
> came home with a very intimate collection of photos of people in and
> around
> their houses. Simply ... Fantastic. Buy it. Now.
> > I was trying to put together a web page of luggers with books before.
> > Maybe
> I should get back to that.

Hi Kyle,
Not to answer what Peter may have said or not. But it's pretty close to what
we Canadian photographers said when we worked for the National Film Board of
Canada in the production of the magnificent book celebrating our friendship
as neighbours in celebrating the 200th anniversary of the United States of
America.

 An absolutely fantastic book... "Between Friends. Entre ami."  It cost over
$1,000,000 to produce and we presented free copies to every library in the
USA, every school and university library. As well as every elected member
from the President down. As well as many other locations long forgotten.

It was a token of our friendship from Canadian's to American's. It was a
wonderful birthday gift indeed.

We shot along the border from the east coast to the west coast on both sides
of the border within 200 miles on either side. And basically all we did was
say something like... "Hi the Canadian government is producing a birthday
present from the people of America to celebrate your 200th anniversary, And
we were treated like kings with cameras. :-)  We were welcomed into all
kinds of homes, events, you name it as their was such a wonderful spirit the
people of one country to the people of another.

If you can find a copy in a library I'm sure everyone will be very surprised
what we as Canadians produced for your 200th birthday! :-) Actually I'm damn
proud of it and that I was one of the photographer's who shot it.

It was incredible going from town to town, church events, schools the whole
thing was a pure magic of friendship.

I think maybe we could say... "Let us all never forget that friendship!"
Look at the book and see what I mean.
ted

Replies: Reply from ericm at pobox.com (Eric) ([Leica] Have you all read peter miller's book?)
Reply from Jim at hemenway.com (Jim Hemenway) ([Leica] Some Leica snapshots)