Subject: [Leica] telescopes??
From: robinson at sfsu.edu (Gib Robinson)
Date: Mon Sep 12 14:05:50 2005

Eric,

The decision about what telescope to buy is, in my view, even more
complicated than figuring out what camera to buy. The decision depends on so
many variables, including budget, weight, size, purpose, level of optical
sophistication, electronics (GPS), accessories (eye pieces, etc.) Even
figuring out what kind of support you want (eg. Tripod, platform, etc.)
isn't easy. There are, of course, "basic" 'scpoes available from common
manufacturers (like Meade & Celestron). Then there are way more elegant
solutions in all the categories, refractors, Dobsonians, etc. If your
friends wants elegants and refinement, there are equivalent of Leicas in
many categories.

You might suggest that your friend go to a local "star party" or local
astronomy club, look at some of the equipment being used by amateurs, and
ask questions of local folks. As for the web, there are many resources for
amateurs. Here's a good beginners article on buying a telescope:

http://www.astronexus.com/saafaq/intro.php

And a basic essay on observing celestial objects by a very savvy amateur:

http://www.astronexus.com/saafaq/intro.php

I will send you a list of URL's off list. You or your friend can also e-mail
me off list.

--Gib

Replies: Reply from faneuil at gmail.com (Eric Korenman) ([Leica] telescopes??)